This course will offer an overview of the Tudor Age from Henry VIII to Elizabeth I, insisting more particularly on the great religious transformation of the century ; the adoption of Protestantism. Students will not only study the political significance of England choosing the side of the Reformation in Europe (an essential aspect of religious reforms), but also the change that this represented in the experience and worldview of the English at the time. It was because religious reforms had a direct impact on people’s lives and beliefs as well as a political significance that they were the occasions of impassioned controversies and conflicts throughout the 16th century.
Code Apogée du cours: EL26CANC
You can download the pdf version of the brochure.
Students must read a downloadable chapter (in two parts) on the Tudor Age:
All the books below are available at the university library.
Rémy Bethmont, L’Anglicanisme: un modèle pour le christianisme à venir? (Genève: Labor et Fides, 2010) (seulement la première partie de l’ouvrage sur les XVIe et XVIIe siècles).
Diarmaid MacCulloch, The Later Reformation in England, 1547-1603 (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2001).
Jean-Pierre Moreau, Henry VIII et le schisme anglican (Paris: PUF, 1994).
Penry Williams, The Later Tudors: England, 1547-1603 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998).
Assignments and exams
- Proposition de corrigé écrit de la dissertation
- Correction de la dissertation – visioconférence du 5 mai
- Recording of the class (23rd April 2020)
- Full essay to hand in on 20th April
- Video recording of the class (9th April 2020)
- Recording of the class (2nd April 2020)
- Reformation Music
- George Herbert’s poems on biblical verses
- From William Perkins, Of the Right Knowledge of Christ Crucified (1596)
- PROTESTANTISM AND THE BIBLE
- Cambridge University Press chapters available through the BU
- Video recording of the class (26th March 2020)
- Nouveau calendrier des devoirs maison
- Lecture recommandée
- Suggestions for writing an essay based on the quote of the workshop
- Dissertation à rendre pour le 30 mars
- Recommended online readings
- Quelques pages à lire en français
- Summary of the workshop of Thursday 12th March
- ATELIER DISSERTATION
- Chapter 2 part 2
- Chapter 2 part 1
- Introductory chapter
- Calendar of assignments L3